Avinash’s practice encompasses a broad spectrum of commercial and corporate disputes. He has substantial experience of international arbitrations administered by the SIAC as well as international arbitrations administered by the ICC and the KLRCA. He regularly appears in the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Avinash has particular expertise in construction and oil & gas disputes, joint venture and shareholder disputes, and personal and proprietary equitable fraud claims against company directors. A large number of the matters he has been involved in have been factually and legally complex, engaging multi-disciplinary technical issues.
Avinash is also familiar with the techniques for dealing with cross-border disputes and disputes involving a conflict between international arbitration proceedings and court litigation. He is adept at formulating and applying for urgent interim relief, including freezing and anti-suit injunctions.
Avinash was the recipient of the Sir Dingle Foot Scholarship from Gray's Inn, in 2006.
Construction and Projects
- Dispute relating to the EPB TBM construction of a tunnel, involving detailed technical issues in geotechnical, tunnelling and structural engineering, as well as critical path analysis.
- Dispute relating to the construction of a major tourist attraction in Singapore, involving detailed technical issues in M&E and control systems design and engineering.
- Dispute concerning the supply of vessels in support of oil & gas production operations off the coast of East Malaysia.
- Dispute involving non-competition agreements in relation to the oil & gas (health and safety) industry in Kazakhstan.
- Disputes arising from power purchase agreements in respect of power plants in South East Asia.
- Vessel construction disputes. Contracts have ranged from practically untouched SAJ to bespoke forms; vessels from tugs to semi-submersible rigs.
Joint venture / shareholder disputes
- Dispute relating to a joint venture for the development of solar farms in Europe, involving concurrent proceedings in arbitration and in courts in multiple jurisdictions.
- Dispute relating to a joint venture for the design and development of a plant for the disposal of industrial waste, involving new and untested technology.
- Shareholders’ dispute relating to a business for the exploitation of mining assets in Australia.
- Shareholders’ dispute relating to a venture for the development of a bitumen production plant located in Malaysia.
- Shareholders’ dispute relating to the sale and purchase of a major transport infrastructure business, in which third parties had attempted to block the completion of the deal.
- Shareholders’ dispute relating to a cross-border business in the healthcare industry.
Directors’ duties and corporate fraud
- Claim by a group of companies in a multi-jurisdiction dispute concerning breach of director’s duties in the context of a business of investment in high-end technology and patent rights, involving issues of equitable fraud and tracing.
- Multi-jurisdictional dispute in relation to the participation in a business involving the ownership and operation of a social networking website.
• Claim by a group of companies specializing in the timber industry against the former managing director.
- Advice and representation on dry shipping matters, including charterparty disputes.
- Defending claims against a major international bank in misrepresentation and negligence, in the context of the Madoff fraud.
- Defending claims against a major international bank in misrepresentation and negligence, in the aftermath of the Lehman Brothers collapse. The total amount claimed exceeded SG$1 billion.
- Advising on the restructuring of a listed company with a diverse portfolio in order to streamline its businesses.
- Advising on the framework, operation and regulation of free trade zones in Malaysia.
- Singapore and the Prevention Rule – A Step Too Far – Construction Law Digest, December 2011
- Reconstructing Consent: The Doctrine of Immunity – The Commonwealth Lawyer, January 2006.