Shemane, a qualified lawyer in both Singapore and Malaysia, specializes in project and front-end construction work and has an MSc in Built Environment (Construction Economics and Management).
Shemane has been recommended in Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2014, 2015 and 2016 Edition) for the categories in projects and energy, and real estate and construction, in Chambers Asia Pacific (2014, 2015 and 2017 Edition) for projects and energy work, and in International Financial Law Review 1000 (Energy and Infrastructure Guide 2014, 2015 and 2016 Edition). She is named as an Asialaw leading lawyer and also a nominated finalist for the 2015 Infrastructure Lawyer of the Year by the Asian Lawyer Emerging Markets Awards.
Shemane has experience in drafting procurement, construction, engineering, consultancy, concession, privatisation, dismantling and maintenance contracts. Her projects include acting for the master developer of the first financial district in Malaysia for the award of concessions to selected bid partners for the development of waste water treatment plant, electricity distribution network, district cooling plant, recycled water and water distribution facility, acting for the State Government on the concession to develop a major undersea tunnel / highway on a DBFOT basis, advising a major developer in respect of its development of a data centre park and chilled water plant (with a power plant option) within its proposed development of a data centre park, advising an international contractor on the drafting of the EPCC main contract, O&M agreements, sub-contracts and equipment supply contracts for 2 power plants projects in Timor Leste and advising an international solar company on the drafting of various trade contracts, equipment supply contracts, EPC contracts and EPCM agreements for a solar energy plant valued at S$6.3 billion.
Shemane has conducted various seminars on the drafting of construction and procurements contracts and construction contract administration.
Her experience includes:
- Advised a major developer on the development of a pilot data centre park and a chilled water and power plant project in Singapore on a PPP basis. This is the first project where a chilled water plant is integrated as part of the data centre development as its primary source of chilled water. The option to build a power plant within this development to supply electricity to the Singapore grid is another first for this project. Role includes advising on the procurement structure and the RFP process and drafting all RFP and project documents (including bid conditions, concession agreement, direct agreement and term sheet for the chilled water supply agreement);
- Advised a joint venture company (owned by 3 oil majors) in the development and construction of a jetty and lubricant storage facility in Singapore. Role includes drafting and negotiating a project management contract, O&M contract, two EPC contracts for the construction and operation and maintenance of an import and export jetty, tank farms, utilities, interconnecting pipelines and jetty topsides and an equipment supply agreement in respect of the construction of shared facilities for a 5ha lube park at the Tuas industrial complex, valued at several hundred million dollars.
- Advised an international contractor on its engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning contract for 2 power plants projects in Timor Leste; and drafting its equipment supply contract and consultancy agreement, technical services agreement, sub-contracts, operation & maintenance contract and asset sale contract;
- Advised a joint venture company (owned by two oil majors) on its development of the grass-roots lube oil additives blending plant at Zhangjiagang Industrial Park in Jiangsu Province, People’s Republic of China. Role includes drafting the request for proposal documents and the EPC contract;
- Advised the owner on the development of a co-generation power plant project in Indonesia and role includes drafting the EPC contract;
- Acted for a solar energy producer on the drafting of a power purchase agreement and rooftop lease agreement for use as its standard template for its customers;
- Acted for a solar energy consumer on the drafting and negotiation of a electricity sale and purchase agreement;
- Acted for the lenders on a S$700 million refinancing of a power plant project in Singapore and role includes reviewing the capacity tolling agreement and operation and maintenance agreement.
- Acted for a Singapore company in respect of an exclusive 10-year concession to supply LPG and design, supply, install and maintain an LPG system for an MCST. Role includes drafting the concession agreement, LPG supply agreement and other project documents;
- Advised an owner on the sale of certain power plant assets and role includes advising on the structure of the sale, drafting the RFP, asset sale contract and other project agreements;
- Advised an international contractor on the drafting of the relevant project and construction documents pertaining to the development of an integrated oil refinery and petrochemical complex in the Straits of Malacca;
- Acted for a client on the drafting of their long term renewable gas supply contract;
- Advised an international gas producer in relation to its sale of gas transmission pipeline and onshore gas receiving facility;
- Advised a petrochemical company on the drafting of the EPC contract and marketing agreement for their biodiesel plant in Johor, Malaysia;
- Advised a client on the drilling contract in respect of an oil rig in Indonesia;
- Advised an international contractor on the contract administration of the Petronas lube base oil and hydrogen unit project in Malacca, Malaysia and the Petronas methanol project in Labuan, Malaysia;
- Advised a developer in respect of the construction of the POME Biogas Micro Turbine Plant, Carey Island, Malaysia.
- Advised a bidder on the concession to develop an integrated industrial park in a special economic zone in Myanmar and role includes advising on the procurement structure and the RFP process, drafting and negotiating the concession agreement / land lease agreement and other relevant project documents;
- Advised an Indonesian engineering and construction company in respect of the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning and the project financing of a 2,000 TPD Ammonia Plant on 185 hectares of land in Banggai, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia worth about US$750 million, of which the International Finance Corporation has committed to provide US$500 million. Role includes drafting the request for proposal documents and the EPCC contract, off-take agreement and other project documents and advising on the loan documents;
- Advised a petrochemical company in respect of its construction and development of a 125 metric tonne paraffin-n and linear alkyl benzene plant in Jurong. She drafted the subscription agreement, shareholders’ agreement, construction and engineering contracts and consultancy contracts pertaining to the project;
Acted a major FMCG company in the drafting and negotiation of EPCC agreements for the fatty acid plant and methyl-ester plant projects in Kuantan, Malaysia;
- Advised a client on the drafting of the tender and contract documents for the procurement of motor vehicle body painting processes and facilities of a motor vehicle manufacturing and assembly plant on an EPCCM basis in Malaysia.
- Advised a bidder on the concession to design, build, finance, own, operate and transfer a deep sea port in a special economic zone in Myanmar and role includes advising on the procurement structure and the RFP process, drafting and negotiating the concession agreement and other relevant project documents;
- Advised a State Government on the concession to design, build, finance, own, operate and transfer highways and undersea tunnel / highway (with an estimated value of RM 8 billion). The project is based on a land swap by which reclaimed land will be given to the contractor in stages based on the progress of the project and a 30-year concession on the tunnel.
- Advised the master developer on the development of what is conceived as Malaysia’s first international financial district with a gross development value of RM 26 billion in respect of specialist infrastructure projects (i.e. electricity distribution, district cooling and waste water treatment plants). These projects are undertaken on a design, build, own, operate, finance and transfer basis. Role includes drafting the request for proposal documents, concession agreements, direct agreements and other relevant project documents;
- Advised a major developer in respect of the development of a chilled water plant on a DBOO basis within its proposed development of a multi-utility hub in subterranean space under a public park. This proposed chilled water plant will supply chilled water to the existing development with an estimated area of 200 hectares. The multi-utility hub is expected to be around 19 hectares large and is one of the first districts in Singapore to be recognised by the BCA Green Mark for District GoldPlus;
- Advised the selected bidder relating to a long term concession for various international and domestic airports in one of the South Pacific countries on a design, build, finance, own, operate and transfer basis. Roles includes negotiations with the task force of the Government awarding the concession, drafting the concession agreement and other project documents;
- Advised a bidder on its bid for the operation & maintenance of the Jurong Rock Cavern. Jurong Rock Cavern is South-east Asia’s first underground rock cavern for oil storage, with the first two caverns providing 480,000 cu meters of storage;
- Advised a major international developer and manufacturer of chemical intermediates on an off-take agreement in respect of the off-take of certain products and a service corridor agreement in respect of the rental of piperack space in a service corridor within a major industrial development;
- Advised a major transportation player on the lease and licence in respect of the station premises for the purpose of providing telecommunications services to MRT commuters;
- Advised a major transportation player with respect to the procurement structure and drafting of the tender and contract documents for the design, construction, supply, testing, operation and maintenance of the Monorail System in Mumbai, India;
- Advised the concessionaire on the tender and contract documents for the construction, completion and maintenance of the South Klang Valley Expressway project.
- Advised the Indonesia Infrastructure Guarantee Fund on the Palapa Ring submarine cable project in Indonesia to bring internet connectivity to many parts of Indonesia that currently do not have access to such critical infrastructure.
- Acted for a major international telecommunications provider in relation to the provision of ICT services for the construction, development, operation and maintenance of Singapore's largest flagship PPP project and the largest sports facility infrastructure PPP project in the world. Stakeholders include the Singapore government, its lenders and six other service providers. The term of the appointment is approximately 21 years. Role includes advising on the ICT Contract and drafting other project documents;
- Advised a major internet social network provider on the construction, operation and maintenance of the Asia Pacific Gateway (including submarine cables and landing stations) and drafting the relevant project documents;
Advised an international telecommunications company in respect of its construction and development of a data centre in Singapore;
- Advised a major telecommunication services provider on its procurement of the supply, installation and after sales services for telecommunication equipment and drafting the raw materials supply agreement, equipment supply agreement and after sales service agreement which are to be used as a standard template within the organization;
- Advised a major mobile services provider in Malaysia on its procurement of the supply, design, installation, testing and commissioning and project management services for in-building coverage and quality improvement for the development and implementation of 3G services;
- Advised a major telecommunication services provider on the drafting of the subscription agreement which is to be used as a standard template for the subscription of telecommunication services by its major corporate customers.
- Acted for the developer of the Polo Club Residence Project in Yangon, Myanmar. The project is a USD 500 million mixed development project comprising of condominium, office, retail and hotel sectors, with total GFA of 400,000 square metres. Role includes advising on the main construction contract, project management contract, architectural services contract, engineering service contract and interior design contract.
- Acted for one of the stakeholders in respect of the Star City township development in Yangon, Myanmar covering an area of approximately 420 acres. Role includes advising on the procurement structure, regulatory issues and drafting the construction contract and other project documents.
- Advised an international property developer in respect of the development of a landmark building in Singapore. Role includes drafting and advising on the relevant project documents (such as the chilled water supply agreement, construction contract, various consultancy agreements, NEWater (recycled potable water) supply agreement and electricity connection and supply agreements);
- Advised a major oil and gas company on the drafting of its standard template fitting out contract, and main construction contract and sub-contracts in respect of the fitting out of its headquarters in Singapore;
- Advised an international developer in respect of Vietnam’s first and largest township development, Ciputra Hanoi International City, with project development costs of approximately US$ 2 billion and covering an area exceeding 3 million sqm;
- Acted for an international developer in respect of its joint venture with a Vietnamese party on a proposed commercial development comprising a 5-star hotel and office building in Hanoi;
- Advised a major FMCG on its maiden venture into commercial property development in Malaysia comprising, amongst others, retail shops, hotel, techno centre, college and service apartments;
- Advised an international developer on the drafting of the project agreement in respect of the sale and purchase and construction of a commercial building in Sentral, Kuala Lumpur;
- Advised the Employees’ Provident Fund on the procurement strategy in respect of its various commercial projects and drafting the tender and contract documents together with the guidance notes to the contract terms and the letters and notices required to be issued pursuant to the contract terms.
Medical and Biotech
- Advised the Singapore Ministry of Health on a number of the hospital developments in Singapore and role includes drafting, reviewing and revising the tender documents, consultancy agreements (including engineering, quantity surveying and architectural consultancy services agreements) and construction agreements.
- Advised a major healthcare company in its purchase of an ongoing hospital development in Singapore including carrying out the necessary due diligence in respect of the project and drafting the sale and purchase agreement and novation agreement of the design and build contract;
- Advised an English biotech company on its submission to the Malaysian Government and drafting the contract documents for the implementation of a full-scale pest control programme to eradicate Aedes aegypti, the primary vector of dengue;
- Represented an English biotech company on its collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Malaysia for the design and construction of a research experimental station in respect of the control of diseases transmitted by mosquitoes.
- Acted for an international foreign school provider in respect of the setting up, construction and development of its first college in Singapore;
- Advised the vendors in respect of the sale of their shares in a company with interests in the management and operation of international schools in Singapore;
- Acted for international foreign school provider on the drafting of the construction contract for the extension of its campus in Singapore.
- Advised an international aviation company on the development of an integrated aircraft sales, operations, maintenance, repair and overhaul facility in the Seletar Aerospace Park on a design, build and lease basis;
- Advised a major telecommunication services provider on its procurement for the design, construction and operation of the MTECC international exhibition and convention centre on a BOT basis;
- Acted for the State of the Netherlands in the drafting and negotiation of the dismantling contract for the demolition of strategic goods and the scrapping of 2 naval submarines in Lumut, Malaysia.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Society of Construction Law Malaysia