Anissa is a Malaysian qualified lawyer with a background working in-house in the TMT industries, and working as a practising corporate and commercial lawyer. Anissa’s forte is her ability to leverage on her deep understanding of the TMT industries, and in particular the media and entertainment industries, to provide sound legal advice with significant commercial and industry insights.
Her background in corporate and commercial law also makes her well-equipped to provide advice and drive negotiations for clients, both local and international and in the public and private sectors.
Anissa’s experience includes almost 10 years at Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad, Malaysia’s and one of South-East Asia’s leading content and consumer companies in the TV, film, OTT, radio, digital and commerce space. Before taking on this role of in-house counsel, she was a corporate and commercial lawyer with an established Malaysian law firm, a role that also included a secondment to the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (formerly Multimedia Development Corporation) as well as involvement in general corporate, commercial, corporate governance and company secretarial work.
Anissa has been engaged in various aspects of the TMT industries including providing end-to-end legal advice for a wide variety of media and entertainment platforms such as broadcast television, feature films, animation, music, publications, digital media and sports on issues covering content creation, acquisition and distribution, licensing, regulatory and governmental projects, investments and financing, defamation, and intellectual property protection and exploitation. In her previous capacity as in-house counsel, she was also involved in a range of commercial and business-related matters for areas such as media sales, e-commerce, talent and artist management, merchandising, advertising, marketing and sponsorship, master content provision/supply, procurement, satellite services, human resources, IT, tenancies, scholarships and corporate social responsibility, and was actively involved in various in-house initiatives including those related to changes in the law, compliance and corporate governance, business process improvements, asset management, technological changes and new products.
Media and Entertainment
- Advising on legal issues in respect of the business of broadcasting and content creation for various languages, including drafting and negotiating agreements for television, OTT, animation and digital content development, production, commissioning, investments, financing/ funding, assignments, channel and programme licensing, distribution and exploitation.
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating agreements for the engagement, endorsement, management and commercial exploitation of on-air and off-air talents, including actors, directors, writers and production crew.
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating agreements for joint ventures with, and acquisitions and divestments of several notable broadcasting and content-focused foreign and local companies.
- Advising on legal issues in respect of the film business, including drafting and negotiating all related agreements and documents such as term sheets, co-development, co-investment/financing and co-production agreements, output deals, talent (on and off screen) agreements, option and rights agreements, music agreements, distribution agreements, marketing agreements, grant /funding documentation, and sponsorship agreements, as well as managing various business-related initiatives such as rights clearances, regulatory relationships, anti-piracy, script/ content submission processes and strategic brainstorming during the development and production stages.
- Advising on legal issues in respect of the business of sport including the preparation and oversight of strategic, transactional and compliance documentation for the setting up, launch and ongoing operations of sports channels and events, the negotiation and drafting of all related agreements and documents for the broadcast and license of local and international sports content including collaborations with local and international sports associations and the provision of broadcast and production services for local and international sports events such as the Commonwealth Games, the Asian Games and the SEA Games, and brand ambassador and talent engagement agreements for sports personalities and newsreaders.
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating the documents for the procurement of technology for companies including the setting up of systems and infrastructure for the broadcasting industry, software/ hardware licensing, supply of goods/ services and regulatory applications.
- Advising clients on other technology agreements such as intellectual property agreements, transfer of technology and technology licensing agreements, and software/ hardware agreements.
- Advising on protection and exploitation of general as well as media and entertainment-related intellectual property in particular copyright and trademarks, including the management, licensing, transfer and/or assignment of such rights.
Corporate and Commercial
- Advising clients in the fields of general corporate law including corporate finance, both conventional and Islamic, initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions; corporate restructuring, joint ventures and corporate governance.
- Advising listed companies, private limited companies and businesses on corporate governance and compliance issues, and foreign companies and businesses on doing business investing in Malaysia.
- Advising clients on commercial matters with an emphasis on agreements for commercial tenancies, franchising, unit trusts, manufacturing and provision of services.
- Advising clients on company secretarial matters, such as compliance with Companies’ legislation and relevant guidelines, the preparation of secretarial documents and the incorporation of companies and societies, including companies limited by guarantee, charitable foundations and offshore companies.