Chee Kwan was an ASEAN Scholar and immediately after graduation from the National University of Singapore, he joined a leading law firm in Singapore. He returned to Malaysia in 1992 and was called to the Malaysian Bar in January 1993.
In the Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 A Client’s Guide, Chee Kwan has been described as ‘one of the first names that comes to mind when it comes to shipping’ and ‘ acknowledged by both clients and peers as a leading player, he is best known for his excellent capabilities in arbitration.’ Chee Kwan is consistently featured in the list of ‘Leading Individuals’ in the Legal 500.
Chee Kwan has over 25 years of experience in corporate commercial disputes, construction contracts disputes, receiverships, insolvency practice and disputes relating to shares and securities, litigation on shipping matters involving marine insurance, international trade and charter-party disputes, bill of lading disputes, arrest of ships and cargo claims. Chee Kwan has also acted as an arbitrator as well as counsel for parties involved in arbitration proceedings (both domestic and international) and has been a speaker in numerous conference papers on shipping and arbitration.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Acted for Tan Sri Tajudin Ramli in a suit by Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad who had made a claim of RM589.14 million.
- Acted for Tan Sri Rashid Hussain in a suit by RHB Bank Bhd and 2 Ors who had made a claim of RM1.43 billion.
- David Kuok Khoon Hin v Kuok Khoon Hwong  3 MLJ 581
- O-Stable Panel Sdn Bhd v Kenmark Industrial Co (M) Bhd  8 MLJ 686
- Hainal-Konyi (M) Sdn Bhd v Luxor Holdings Sdn Bhd  6 MLJ 480
- Ng Hong Chai v JB Securities  1 CLJ 57
- Woodsville Sdn Bhd v Tien Ik Enterprises Sdn Bhd & Ors  3 MLJ 191
- Luxor Holdings Sdn Bhd v Hainal-Konyi (M) Sdn Bhd  2 CLJ 856
- Quill Construction Sdn Bhd v Tan Hor Teng & Anor  2 CLJ 358
- RHB Capital Berhad v Tan Sri Dato’ Abdul Rashid Hj Mohamed Hussain  2 CLJ 91
- Shivnath Rai Harnarain (India) Ltd v The Owners of the Ship or Vessel MV “Win Moony”  1 MLJ 141
- Woodsville Sdn Bhd v Tien Ik Enterprises Sdn Bhd & Ors  4 MLJ 218
- Quill Construction Sdn Bhd v Tan Hor Teng & Anor  7 CLJ 24
- Celcom (Malaysia) Bhd v Inmiss Communication Sdn Bhd  3 CLJ 85
- Ong Lian Shyang & Anor v Hoover Mutiara Sdn Bhd Sdn Bhd & Anor  5 CLJ 169
- Woodsville Sdn Bhd v Giltspur Holdings Sdn Bhd & Ors  4 MLJ 566
- Wako Merchant Bank (Singapore) Ltd v Lim Lean Heng & Ors  4 CLJ 223
- Akitek Tenggara Sdn Bhd v Mid Valley City Sdn Bhd & Anor  3 CLJ 383
- Simmah Timber Industries Sdn Bhd v David Low See Keat & Ors  5 MLJ 421
- Majujaya Holdings Sdn Bhd v Pens-Transteel Sdn Bhd & Ors  2 MLJ 399
- Sunrise & Company Pte Ltd & Anor v Marco Shoe Sdn Bhd  5 CLJ 591
- Societe Generale & Ors v City Holdings (Pte) Ltd & Anor  2 MLJ 212
- K-Rex Finance Ltd v Yap Swee Hong & Anor  1 MLJ 336
- Balfour Williamson (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Joyce Lee Yon Yin (Chee Ming & Anor, Third Parties)  3 MLJ 417
- FKJV (M) Sdn Bhd (formerly known as Ardenmax Cosmetic Sdn Bhd) v Mode Circle Sdn Bhd and ors suit  MLJU 751
- Tetuan Bakar Khalil & Partners v Luggage Distributors (M) Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 169
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysia Bar
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Vice President, International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law
- “Ship Arrest in Malaysia” – North of England P & I Association, UK.
- “How To Handle Maritime Claim” – Joint Seminar Organised by Lee Ong & Kandiah / Drew & Napier.
- “Recent Development in Maritime Laws in Malaysia” – Inter Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference in Kuala Lumpur.
- “Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims” – Japan P & I Club, Tokyo.