Jack specialises in banking & finance, projects & energy and mergers & acquisitions.
Jack is recognised as a Rising Star in the IFLR1000 (2018).
He has significant experience advising sponsors on the development and financing of projects in the energy sector, and represents borrowers and lenders in various types of financing transactions. Jack also advises clients on mergers and acquisitions and corporate matters. His experience in those practice areas allows him to advise on the entire project development cycle, from initial structuring to project development and up to financial close.
Banking & Finance
- Advised the sponsor and project company on a USD syndicated loan for the project financing of a 2x600MW coal fired power project in Vietnam.
- Advised the co-sponsor on the issuance of Islamic medium term notes by the project company for the development of large scale solar power plants in Malaysia with an aggregate capacity of 150MW.
- Advised the project company (as issuer) on an Islamic medium term notes programme for the development of a 50MW large scale solar power project in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a foreign financial institution on the provision of a multicurrency facility for the development of glass production lines in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a project company operating in the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Development Area, in relation to a USD syndicated loan to finance the development of a gas transmission pipeline system.
- Advised the sponsor and project companies on MYR syndicated loans to finance the development of several educational institutions.
- Advised the sponsor and project companies on an MYR loan to project finance solar power plants with an aggregate capacity of 12MW, and advised on the loan restructuring up to the repayment of the facility.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to the lenders in relation to a USD syndicated loan to project finance the construction of an oil storage terminal, and advised on the post financing restructuring, expansion of the project, up to the repayment of the facility.
- Advised a company in the hospitality industry in relation to an MYR refinancing facility.
- Advised a Malaysian company in the healthcare sector on a multicurrency syndicated revolving facility to fund acquisitions, investments and its expansion.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to the lead arrangers (acting for a syndicate of lenders) in connection with a multicurrency unitranche facility and USD revolving facility to a group of subsea and marine engineering companies for reorganisation and refinancing purposes.
- Advised a foreign financial institution and a foreign distressed and special opportunities fund in the provision of USD facilities to a group of companies involved in the steel industry in Malaysia, up to the repayment and discharge of the facilities.
Construction & Projects and Energy & Resources
- Advised Scatec Solar on its participation as co-sponsor in the development of large scale solar power plants in Malaysia with an aggregate capacity of 150MW, from initial corporate structuring up to financial close.
- Advised Tadau Energy Sdn Bhd on a large scale solar power plant in Malaysia with an aggregate capacity of 50MW, from project conception up to financial close.
- Advised the sponsors (including BayWa r.e.) on a 4MW solar power project in Malaysia.
- Advised SunEdison, Inc. on the development of solar power plants in excess of 19MW in capacity, and the structuring and inclusion of 12MW of its Malaysian solar assets in its yieldco vehicle, TerraForm Global, Inc., for the latter’s IPO on the NASDAQ.
- Advised the sponsor of a biogas power plant and the management and treatment of pig waste generated for the purposes of fuelling the plant.
- Advised a renewable energy developer on the development of a power generation system (thermal oil heater and organic rankine cycle turbine and generator) on a build-own-operate-transfer basis.
- Advised a sponsor on the development of a biogas capturing plant on a build-own-operate-transfer basis.
- Advised local and international sponsors and developers on the structuring, licensing, submission of bids, development, and project financing of various renewable energy power projects in Malaysia under the feed-in tariff regime (SEDA) and large scale solar programme (Energy Commission).
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised on the disposal of shares in project companies operating solar power plants with an aggregate capacity of 5.3MW.
- Advised a leading venture debt firm on the structuring of its operations in Malaysia.
- Advised London-listed Aseana Properties Ltd on the disposal of Aloft Kuala Lumpur Sentral Hotel.
- Advised on the disposal of the entire equity interest in TF Value-Mart Sdn Bhd, operator of a hypermarket chain in Malaysia, to KV Asia Capital, a private equity firm.
- Advised on the joint venture in and proposed acquisition of, a downstream oil & gas business.
- Advised on a proposed bid to acquire a majority stake in a company engaged in the refining and manufacturing of petroleum products.
- Advised on the disposal of all shares in Gading Sari Aviation Services Sdn Bhd, an air freight operator.
- Advised a property development company listed on the London Stock Exchange on its proposals to facilitate the return of cash to its shareholders.
- Advised Ireka Corporation Berhad, a Bursa Malaysia-listed entity, on its proposed capital reduction and privatisation exercise and its subsequent rights issue.
- Advised Aliran Ihsan Resources Berhad, then a Bursa Malaysia-listed entity, on its capital reduction and privatisation exercise.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn
- Co-Author, “Lending and taking security in Malaysia: overview”, Practical Law, 2015 & 2016
- Author, Malaysian chapter, “Guide on Promissory Notes and Cheques”, Italian Business Association (Vicenza), July 2014
- Contributor, “Media and Entertainment - A Practical Legal, Business & Strategy Guide”, Sweet & Maxwell Asia, ISBN 978-967-0498-64-5, September 2013