Yon See Ting is a Partner with the Corporate Practice Group of Christopher & Lee Ong.
See Ting is ranked in Chambers & Partners and listed in Global Competition Review 100 (GCR 100) for Competition. Since 2014, she has been a member of Bursa’s Listing Committee, a committee of the Board of Bursa Malaysia Berhad.
Her more than 20 years of experience as a corporate lawyer in Malaysia is focused on corporate, corporate finance and commercial transactions including in mergers & acquisitions (“M&A”), joint ventures, takeovers, debt and securities offering, Initial Public Offerings (“IPOs”), corporate restructurings and various commercial arrangements encompassing competition law. She has extensive experience both in advisory as well as in transactional work, including acting for Malaysian (listed as well as non-listed) companies and foreign corporations in cross border exercises and in leading negotiations and corporate exercises.
She has also acted in various aspects of competition law matters including in investigations by the Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC), a MNC’s application for individual exemption for an agreement, as competition law counsel in an M&A exercise of a listed cement company of its competitor, as part of its group’s global merger with another cement company, conducting competition law training and compliance programmes, reviewing agreements and advising numerous clients on various aspects of competition law.
M&As and Takeovers
Advised foreign corporations and PE funds in their initial and continued investments as well as in their subsequent divestments in Malaysia including:
- Acted for Regent Wise Investments Limited, a subsidiary of Philippines conglomerate, Ayala Land Inc, in its acquisition of 17.24% equity stake in Bursa Malaysia listed, MCT Berhad, from a major shareholder for RM 202.5 million which triggered a mandatory take-over offer requirement under the Takeovers Code to acquire all the remaining ordinary shares in MCT Berhad. Prior to this, advised Regent Wise Investments Limited, in its initial participation of 9.16% and subsequent increase to 32.95% of the equity in MCT Berhad.
- Acted for China Vanke, a leading residential real estate developer in the People's Republic of China, listed both on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and Hong Kong Stock Exchange in its joint venture with a local partner and in its subsidiary’s acquisition of a 7.4-acre prime tract of land from a liquidator for a value of approximately RM 500 million
- Acted for Valeo SA, a company listed on Euronext Paris, in an acquisition of a Malaysian automotive parts manufacturer valued at approximately RM 132 million which is a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company, Frencken Group Limited.
- Acted for Mustika Manis Sdn. Bhd. in respect of a mandatory take-over offer to acquire all the remaining ordinary shares in Johan Holdings Berhad not already owned by Mustika Manis and its persons acting in concert. Johan Holdings and its subsidiaries are involved in a spectrum of activities relating to Diners Club charge and credit cards, travel and tours, property development and a hotel.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Mitsui OSK. Lines Ltd in its acquisition of 20.9% share in a leading Malaysian logistics group, PKT Logistics Group Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted for vendors in their disposal of 90% of the issued shares in Big Apple Worldwide Holdings Sdn. Bhd., operator of the “Big Apple” doughnut chain in Malaysia and Cambodia.
- Acted for Chinese white knight, Zhiyuan International Investment and Holding Group (Hong Kong) Co. Limited in its proposed rescue and the restructuring of listed steel maker, Perwaja Holdings Berhad in a transaction valued at RM 1.8 billion.
- Advised Arenga Pinnata Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Creador II, LLC, a private equity fund in the takeover pursuant to the Malaysian Code of Takeovers and Mergers of Masterskill Education Group Berhad, a public company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad for an aggregate consideration of approximately RM 246 million.
- Advised JCBNext Berhad (formerly known as JobStreet Corporation Berhad), the offeree and a company listed on the Main Market of Bursa Securities, in the takeover offer launched by its founder, Mr. Mark Chang together with another offeror.
- Advised Bursa Malaysia listed company, Integrax Berhad, as the offeree, in the takeover by Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) pursuant to the Malaysian Code of Takeovers and Mergers, of all the remaining shares not owned by TNB in Integrax Berhad.
- Acted for ISEC Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Singapore Exchange Catalist company, ISEC Healthcare Ltd, in its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Southern Specialist Eye Centre Sdn Bhd.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for CITIC Environment Protection Co. Ltd in its pre-conditional voluntary offer (valued at S$1.9 billion) of Singapore Stock Exchange listed clean technology services company, United Envirotech Ltd.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Suzhou Anjie Technology, a Shenzhen-listed manufacturer of insulation and cushioning materials for the consumer electronic industry, in relation to its acquisition of the Seksun Group (a leading precision metals engineering solutions provider).
- Acted for Creed Group in its acquisition of Sunsuria Medini Sdn Bhd, a property development company in Malaysia with land interests in the Iskandar Development Region.
- Acted for Mitsui & Co. Ltd, a major Japanese conglomerate in its investment in a Malaysian master concessionaire land holder in Medini, a smart city and part of the Iskandar region in Johor, in its joint venture with Khazanah Nasional Berhad’s subsidiary.
- Acted for Itochu Techno-Solutions Corporation and Itochu Corporation (both listed in Japan), in their successful competitive bid for an enterprise solutions and integration business in Malaysia and Singapore, acquired from subsidiaries of a US listed corporation.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in the acquisition by the Singapore Exchange (“SGX”) mainboard-listed, AusGroup Limited of Malaysian assets in Iskandar Malaysia valued at S$260 million, by way of reverse-takeover with a view to the listing of the assets on the SGX Catalist board.
- Acted for Nestle S.A and Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad in its divestment of part of its canned liquid milk business in Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam to Fraser & Neave Holdings Berhad, involving continued licensing and agency arrangements and the disposal of interests in a Malaysian company owning factory land situated in prime commercial district.
- Acted for US telecommunications company in its participation in joint venture in a Malaysian telecommunications company and advising on the issues arising in its management of and subsequent exit from, the joint venture company.
- Acted for Australian international shopping mall manager in its participation in a joint venture company which is owner of a world class Malaysian shopping mall.
- Acted for Dutch based property trust company in its acquisition of an Australian joint venture partner’s interests, the subsequent listing of its Malaysian partner’s interests in the joint venture company, its sale of part interests to a Malaysian related corporation and the injection of the remaining holdings into an international property fund based offshore.
- Acted for Singapore headquartered financial institution in its participation in joint venture with Malaysian conglomerate in a licensed insurance company coupled with winding down its holdings in another licensed insurer and expediting the return to shareholders of monies in the company prior to winding down.
Finance, Corporate Finance and Capital Market
- Acting as the Malaysian counsel to the issuer, which operates in the luxury lifestyle, wellness and manufacturing sectors in Malaysia and Singapore in connection with the issuer’s proposed IPO and listing on The Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Acting as the Malaysian counsel to the issuer, which engages in digital content business in Malaysia and Indonesia, in connection with the IPO and listing on The Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to the issuer in the IPO of EuroSports Global Limited on the Catalist Board of SGX-ST. EuroSports primarily specialises in the business of distribution of ultra-luxury automobiles and luxury automobiles and provision of after-sales services. EuroSports carries automobile brands comprising mainly Lamborghini, Pagani and Alfa Romeo, and customised automobiles supplied by Touring Superleggera.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to Gaylin Holdings Limited in its IPO and listing on the Main Board of the SGX-ST which raised approximately S$38.5 million (US$31.5 million).
- Acted as the Malaysian counsel in respect of the listing of the Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group on the Italian Stock Exchange in Milan on 3 June 2015. The listing raised EUR 200 million.
- Acted in the IPOs of companies in the manufacturing, media, IT and retail sectors for listing on Bursa Malaysia as well as listings via reverse takeovers.
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations in corporate exercises involving securities issues including rights issues with warrants attached, bonus issues, reduction of share capital, distributions to shareholders and share buy-backs.
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations as well as creditors in schemes of arrangements and debt restructuring exercises.
- Acted for various Malaysian public listed corporations in their issue of debt securities.
- Acted for Malaysian public listed corporations in negotiations on financing and security arrangements.
- Acted for Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad in its RM 100 million al-Murabaha commercial papers (CPs)/medium term notes (MTNs).
- Acted for a multinational’s Malaysian listed subsidiary in the first application for individual exemption for anti-competitive agreement under the Competition Act 2010.
- Acted in investigations by the Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC) in the logistics sector.
- Acted as competition law counsel for a general insurer (which is a subsidiary of a leading international financial services group) in a cartel investigation by MyCC involving other general insurers in Malaysia and the Association of General Insurers of Malaysia (PIAM).
- Acted as competition law counsel for a Malaysian public listed company in its acquisition of a competitor Malaysian company (as part of a global merger between 2 competing companies in the cement industry).
- Acted as competition law adviser to an energy distributor following the liberalisation of laws and implementation of third party access in this sector.
- Acted as a competition counsel for a subsidiary of a MNC in the divestment of its general insurance business and subsequent collaboration with the acquirer.
- Advised companies in wide ranging sectors including content aggregators, airlines, telecommunication, banks, insurance, pharmaceutical, chemicals and FMCG sectors, cement, manufacturing, automotive, construction, oil and gas, steel, credit reporting, energy, logistics, aviation, property development, trading and retailing sectors, many of whom are MNCs and Malaysian public listed companies, on a wide range of competition law matters including on exchange of information between competitors, tender activities, abuse of dominance and review of distribution and other vertical agreements.
- Conducted regional and local competition law trainings and compliance programmes including for banks and companies in the gas, cement, steel, chemicals, pharmaceutical and FMCG sectors as well as various trade associations including in the financial services and cement sectors.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member of the Listing Committee of Bursa Malaysia