Steven is an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (Hons) Degree from University of London, United Kingdom. Steven’s main area of practice is intellectual property litigation.
Steven worked with one of the largest and oldest firm in Malaysia between 2006 and 2012 practising exclusively in both litigious and non-litigious intellectual property matters where he assisted and represented clients in relation to disputes relating to patents, copyright, privacy and trade secrets, trade mark, industrial designs, advertising and domain name and also various aspects of enforcement of intellectual property rights. Over the years, he has represented many multi-nationals in litigation and intellectual property enforcement matters.
Steven is also very experienced in non-litigious IP work such as advisory work, trade mark / patent prosecution and registration work, and has vast experience dealing with the Malaysian Intellectual Property Office, including attending to hearings, opposition proceedings etc. Steven also has vast experience in drafting and reviewing various IP and IT related agreements.
Notable Cases and Transactions
- Acted for various brand owners in enforcement actions, including conducting of enforcement raids (together with the enforcement division of the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism) for world renowned watch manufacturers, perfume manufacturers, telecommunication products, eye wear etc between 2006 to 2017.
- Acted for a well known Egyptian fast-food chain in successfully defending trade mark cancellation actions against its registered marks in Malaysia, and at the same time successfully cancelling the opponent’s Malaysian trade mark registrations.
- Advised a global Music Publishing company relating to various matters involving enforcement of rights of its licensees in Malaysia.
- Acted for a well known Muslim fashion brand in a patent infringement suit in Malaysia.
- Acted for a world leading mobile game producer in enforcement action against a restaurant in Penang.
- Acted for one of China’s largest tea producer in negotiating settlement of a trade mark dispute.
- Acted for a leading Japanese contact lenses manufacturer in negotiating co-existence / settlement and licensing arrangements in Malaysia and Thailand.
- Drafting terms and condition and privacy policies of use for major online websites and mobile applications.
- Acted for a local motorcycle manufacturer in defending a copyright infringement suit in Malaysia.
- Acted for local companies defending a suit for breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty etc.
- Acted for a Chinese security scanner producers in defending a patent infringement suit in Malaysia.
- Acted for a local leading car windshield repair shop in settling a trade mark dispute.
- Reviewing and drafting license agreements, non-disclosure agreements, franchise agreements etc for various companies and entities.
- Filing and prosecuting trade mark applications for various brand owners both local and foreign.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, Kuala Lumpur Bar
- Member, Malaysian Intellectual Property Association (MIPA)
- Member, Asian Patent Attorney Association (APAA)