Valerie practiced as a corporate commercial lawyer in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and she is now based in Christopher & Lee Ong’s associate firm, Assegaf Hamzah & Partners in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Valerie advises on a wide spectrum of corporate and commercial matters, including takeovers, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, corporate governance, licensing and regulatory approvals, exchange control regulations, foreign investment, new business ventures and investment vehicles, joint ventures, capital markets, securities law, due diligence, drafting, reviewing commercial documents and papers, and general corporate advisory work.
In Indonesia, Valerie’s experience also covers an extensive range of corporate transactions, with specialization in mergers & acquisitions deals across the plantation, oil & gas, port infrastructure, IT, mining, retail and property sectors. She has represented foreign investors from Asia, the United States, the United Kingdom, continental Europe and Australia in a significant number of M&A transactions and foreign direct investments.
Recent key engagements include advising Malaysian, Korean, Australian and Singaporean investors operating across a wide range of sectors on their investments plans in Indonesia. Valerie’s clients currently include a number of well-known international corporations operating in the IT, retail, oil & gas, palm oil and mining industries.
Her experience includes:
- Advised PT Chandra Asri Petrochemical Tbk in its USD 435 million joint venture with Compagnie Financière Michelin (Michelin), Europe’s largest tiremaker, to build a synthetic rubber plant to supply to Indonesia’s automotive industry.
- Advised PT Tara Cell Intrabuana, a telecommunications tower company, in the USD 50 million investments by PT Nusantara Infrastructure by way of acquisition of 39.55% stake in the company.
- Advised PT HD Corpora and Wealth Paradise Holdings Ltd in the sale of controlling interest of PT HD Finance Tbk, a consumer financing company, to PT Tiara Marga Trakindo.
- Advised Wilmar International Ltd on its proposed acquisition from Noble Group Ltd of a 53.74% equity interest in Noble Plantations Pte Ltd to form a Papua focused, strategic joint venture in order to develop and operate palm projects to produce and sell crude palm oil and its by-products.
- Advised media investment company PT Multimedia Nusantara (a subsidiary of the PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Persero) Tbk group) on the establishment of its joint venture with eBay International AG to operate a C2C online marketplace business in Indonesia.
- Advised PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Persero) Tbk and PT Multimedia Nusantara on the establishment of its joint venture with Telstra Corporation Limited to operate network application services business in Indonesia.
- Advised shareholders of Indonesian tire producer PT Multistrada Arah Sarana Tbk in disposing of their 20% shareholding in the company.
- Advised educational services provider Sundai Linden Singapore (s) Pte Ltd on the establishment of a joint venture company in Indonesia offering education services to Japanese students residing in Indonesia.