Yew Chen is a Corporate M&A lawyer with a specialisation in Competition & Trade, and Technology, Media & Telecommunications laws.
He has practiced in London and Singapore, and continues to advise on cross border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, telecommunications projects, competition law, and general corporate and commercial matters.
Yew Chen regularly advises private equity funds, multinationals, and public and private companies on these areas of law, and is familiar with the various regulatory authorities for competition, telecommunications, and trade.
Yew Chen is recognised as a leading lawyer for Competition, Mergers & Acquisitions, and IT & Telecoms in the Chambers & Partners, AsiaLaw, and Legal 500 rankings, respectively.
Selection of Cases and Transactions
Competition & Trade
- Advised a Malaysian long haul low cost carrier on its collaboration with two other airlines in Malaysia and the implications of the collaboration under the Competition Act 2010.
- Advised a Malaysian long haul low cost carrier on its collaboration agreements with a regional short haul low cost carrier and the implications of the agreements under the Competition Act 2010.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications provider on the anti-competition provisions under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
- Advised various clients on import and export laws for alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Advised various clients on cross boarder trading through e-commerce platforms.
- Advised clients on trading with entities on the Malaysian restricted list, including compliance with US Anti-Boycott laws in conjunction with US counsel.
- Advised clients on the potential impact of permanent establishments, and double tax treaties.
- Advised various clients on the Malaysian Customs tariffs and licensing requirements across a broad range of products and industries.
- Advised a multinational engineering company on its annual compliance programme for its business in Malaysia, including on its annual compliance questionnaires relating to compliance issues on corporate matters, environmental issues, commercial, regulatory, licensing, transportation, and competition.
Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised and assisted two different foreign banks with the establishment of their respective commercial banking subsidiaries in Malaysia.
- Advised, in two separate transactions, a private equity fund and a foreign publicly listed company, on their respective acquisitions of two cinema chains in Malaysia.
- Advised on the disposal of factory operations in Malaysia and Shanghai to a UK public listed company.
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition of an Indonesian manufacturing business.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on its joint venture operations in South Africa.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on its acquisition of a stake in a GBP500 million biomass power plant, including the acquisition of an Isle of Man company for the plant’s operations.
- Advised a Malaysian government-linked company on the disposal of its cable car operating subsidiary.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on the disposal of its machine shop business to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japanese multinational corporation.
- Advised a Malaysian private company on the acquisition of a German technology company specialising in 3D technology.
- Advised several clients on their acquisitions of, and investments in, the food and beverage industry.
- Advised a client on the sale of their digital advertising business to a multinational advertising company.
- Advised a public listed company on its corporate restructuring exercise pursuant to the Listing Requirements of Bursa Securities Malaysia.
- Advised the Employees Provident Fund and Maybank Private Equity on the restructuring and sale of their investment in a biomass group of companies.
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Advised a multinational corporation that provides online content on the establishment of its operations in Malaysia.
- Advised on the establishment of an Internet service provider in Malaysia, including its operations and negotiations with telecommunication vendors and service providers.
- Advised an ITC service provider on its RM900 million dispute with a multinational software company.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications company on its RM4 billion multi-vendor procurement contracts for High Speed Broadband in Malaysia.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on the rollout of its RM2.5 billion WiMAX network in Malaysia and its multi-vendor negotiations for the acquisition of network elements and rollout of a multi-vendor network environment.
- Advised and acted as lead counsel for the restructuring and outsourcing of various IT- related contracts for a multinational company involving over 60 jurisdictions globally.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications company on its RM11.3 billion public private partnership with the Government of Malaysia for the rollout of High Speed Broadband in Malaysia.
- Acted for a Swedish multinational telecommunications provider in its US$780 million bid to provide outsourcing services for a leading Malaysian telecommunications company.
- Advising an association and a regulator on their respective draft codes of practice for data protection for their industry, as required under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
- Advised the subsidiaries of a Malaysian public listed company on the drafting of its agreements with respect to e-commerce, data protection and privacy laws.
- Advised various multinational telecommunication companies and service providers on the regulatory and licensing requirements of the Malaysian telecommunications industry, including their respective applications for various licences under the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, ITTIP Committee, American-Malaysian Chamber of Commerce, Malaysia
- Member, IT & Cyber Law Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia
- Chevening Scholar, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, UK
- Co-author, Media & Entertainment Law, Thompson Reuters (2013)
- Since 2010, Yew Chen has been the editor, and remains a regular contributor, of articles to the Firm’s dedicated monthly column on legal issues in the Sun, a Malaysian newspaper